[linux-audio-announce] ALSA Hammerfall DSP driver

Subject: [linux-audio-announce] ALSA Hammerfall DSP driver
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 04:33:32 EEST

I'm pleased to announce that ALSA now has support for the Hammerfall
DSP audio interface. Details of the Hammerfall DSP are available at
RME's website (www.rme-audio.com). The driver supports:

      * all sample rates
      * both MIDI ports
      * "simple mixer" controls to allow alsamixer to control
           each playback stream's volume. Remember: as usual
           with ALSA, the initial state is "all output muted".
      * peak meters for input, output and playback, with serial
          clipping counters.
      * a non-standard control element for the matrix mixer (this
          may change; do not plan long term application support
          around it)

Things that are not tested but should work:

    * big-endian systems
    * multiface i/o box
    * cardbus interface
    * different sample clock sync sources

Things that don't work:

    * RMS meters
    * Flashing the firmware into the I/O box

The driver is similar in some ways the Hammerfall driver. Most
notably, it requires large chunks of physically contiguous
memory. This is best provided for by loading the snd-hammerfall-mem
module early during booting, which provides memory for both Hammerfall
and Hammerfall DSP drivers. The module has a snd-enable option which
takes a comma-separated list of 0's or 1's indicating whether or not
to allocate memory for the n'th Hammerfall or Hammerfall DSP
device. If you have only once such device, then snd-enable=1 will be
sufficient. The module checks for installed devices, so you can always
insert the module and the right thing will happen even if you have
removed your Hammerfall/Hammerfall DSP cards.

I am sure there will be minor glitches along the way. I would really
appreciate feedback from anyone with an H-DSP (marcus - that means
you! :)

A huge thank you to RME for the foresight and sense to make available
sufficient information to make this driver possible.

--p