Subject: [linux-audio-announce] GStreamer 'Desperately Seeking Sexiness' 0.4.0 released
From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller (Uraeus_AT_linuxrising.org)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 12:01:09 EEST
GStreamer "Desperately Seeking Sexiness" 0.4.0 released
The GStreamer team is happy to announce another developer release of the
GStreamer streaming-media framework. GStreamer 0.4.0 is available for
immediate download at:
Updates and Enhancements
* Graphical pipeline editor (gst-editor) ported to GNOME 2.0
* Autobuild system using
http://urgent.rug.ac.be/thomas/bitches to generate good RPMs
*Apt for rpm repository for GStreamer and plug-in dependencies on
RedHat 7.2 and 7.3, for both Ximian Red-Carpet Gnome 2 and Gnomehide.
* Red-Carpet GStreamer channel under construction.(available in a few
* GConf schemas distributed for centralised sink settings
* Moved to http://bugzilla.gnome.org for bug reports. Bugzilla is more
convenient than SourceForge's system, and Gnome already has a system
running. Thanks to Gnome for the support.
* Created a gst-feedback script to gather system information
to be added to a bug report for better debugging.
* New much improved registry system implemented.
* New event-driven seek support. Event system is now working and
* Header files are now in a versioned directory to ease build pains.
* Improvements and bugfixes to dparams.
* Docs updated, registry and system clock documentation added.
* More tests added for improved troubleshooting.
* Cothreads code made more POSIX-compatible
* PowerPC portability fixes
* Quicktime plug-in rewritten
* http://effectv.sourceforge.net/ - Effectv video effects plug-ins
* Audio effect plug-ins fixes (int2float, floatcast etc.)
* A new filter plug-in for audio filters
* OSS plug-in fixes
* Audiofile plug-in works again (depends on upstream patch getting
* lavencode plug-in renamed yuv4mpeg
* Synaesthesia plug-in added to gst-visualisation packages
* http://jackit.sf.net/ - Jack plug-in working -- CVS Jack required
* Floatcast plug-in added
* Include file setup fixes
* Avi plug-in ported to avifile 0.7.7
* Lots of fixes and cleanups on the DV plug-in
* libfame plug-in added (mpeg4)
* libdvdnav plug-in added
* Better URI handling in gnome-vfs plug-in
* RTP plug-in updated and ported to the http://www.linphone.org/ortp/ -
GStreamer currently ships with two schedulers, named 'basic' and
'standard'. Basic is the one we have been shipping for a long time now
and is still the default in GStreamer 0.4.0. There are however some
limitations and threadrelated bugs in basic. These limitations are not
present in standard, but unfortunately standard does not work with i686
glibc atm due to differences in the way threads are handled compared to
other architectures including i386. We hope to get the remaining issues
in standard fixed before 0.4.1 and use that as default.
As for the bugs in basic we did not feel they warranted not releasing
0.4.0 as they are rather obscure. For instance if you are using
Rhythmbox you will need to be playing over 500 songs nonstop to trigger
If you want to test the standard scheduler, run your GStreamer
application with --gst-scheduler=standard
More details on these features can be found on the project's website,
We use http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ for bug reports and feature requests.
The "product name" is GStreamer (capital G).Please do the following
before writing a bug report :
* Run gst-feedback and attach the file "feedback" to your bug report, so
that we have some information useful in the debugging process.
GStreamer is hosted on SourceForge. All code is in CVS and can be
checked out from there.Interested developers of the core library,
plug-ins, and applications should subscribe to the gstreamer-devel
list. If there is sufficient interest we will create more lists as
We are still looking for people with access to Solaris, HP-UX, Irix and
True64 that would be willing to try building and testing GStreamer.
Patches fixing build problems on such systems are of course also more
Contributors to this release
Erik Walthinsen omega(AT)temple-baptist.com
Wim Taymans wim.taymans(AT)chello.be
Thomas Vander Stichele thomas(AT)apestaart.org
Andy Wingo wingo(AT)pobox.com
Benjamin Otte in7y118(AT)public.uni-hamburg.de
Steve Baker stevebaker_org(AT)yahoo.co.uk
Plugins and Sample Applications
Richard Boulton richard(AT)tartarus.org
David Lehn dlehn(AT)vt.edu
Ronald Bultje rbultje(AT)ronald.bitfreak.net
Bastien Nocera hadess(AT)hadess.net
Martin Enlund martin(AT)enlund.net
Arik Devens arik(AT)gnome.org
Jeremy Simon jsimon13(AT)yahoo.fr
Zeeshan Ali Khattak zak147(AT)yahoo.com
Rehan Khwaja rehankhwaja(AT)yahoo.com
Kentarou Fukuchi fukuchi(AT)is.titech.ac.jp
Artyom Baginski artm(AT)nerve.v2.nl
David Schleef ds(AT)schleef.org
Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel(AT)free.fr
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus(AT)gnome.org
Calum Selkirk cselkirk(AT)panix.com
linux-audio-announce Mailing List
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Sat Jul 06 2002 - 21:03:41 EEST