[linux-audio-announce] Marlin 0.2 (4 More Years, How Many Dead?)

Subject: [linux-audio-announce] Marlin 0.2 (4 More Years, How Many Dead?)
From: iain (iain_AT_prettypeople.org)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 00:30:49 EET

What is Marlin?

Its a Sample Editor.
It edits Samples.
It uses GNOME and GTK+2
It looks pretty

What's changed? Ermmm
* We do stuff with any metadata a file may have.
* Should load and save markers in wavfiles if you have a recent
  enough GStreamer (HEAD branch)
* More paste options, and more silly features like halving
  selections
* Hmmm...
* Oh, the CD ripp^wextractor should work again, and if you have
  Musicbrainz installed it'll get details from there and use them
  in naming samples.
* Markers can be added and editted and used for minor editting jobs
* In the file selector there's preview details of sound samples.
* Errr...
* Bound to be other stuff I've forgotten (Can you tell I'm putting
  lots of thought into this announcement?)
* Oh yeah...
* It has a thumbnail of the whole sample in the overview bar now.
  Soundforge doesn't even do that!

What does it look like?
http://marlin.sourceforge.net/marlin-track-marker.png is a good
screenshot. There's others kicking around that site.
Some are out of date.

Where can I get it?
Rumour has it you can download it here
You shouldn't always believe rumours though...

Can I help?
Please do, I have no real clue what I'm doing. In fact as David Devant
and His Spirit Wife once sang "We're making it up as we go along,
humming a half remembered song. When we woke up, we thought, whats the
big deal...then we remembered, this is for real". Only the first line of
that really was relevant, but I thought I'd do the whole thing. People
to work on docs would be nice...translators too.
Testers really welcome, and audio engineers can tell me what they want
Marlin to do. I'd love to have feedback.

What do I need?

GNOME 2.4. It'll be moving to gnome2.6 base soon, but it'll still work
on 2.4 for the time being.
If you want track listings in the CD ripp^wextractor then you'll need
Musicbrainz.
GStreamer 0.7+ is required. HEAD CVS would be preferable cos then you'll
get extra stuff, but 0.7.1 should be fine if thats all you have and
can't be bothered fighting Sourceforge's anoncvs stuff.

Is there a website?

Yes.

Where is it?

http://marlin.sf.net

Is there a roadmap so we can see where you're heading?

Yes! I spent hours making one, cos all the cool projects have one, and
we want to at least give the impression we're a cool project.
http://marlin.sourceforge.net/road-trip2.png

Any art commissioning, just ask me. I'm great at art. You're bound to be
able to tell.

As usual, all donations of
a) Old guitar effects
b) Fender Jaguar/Telecaster guitars
c) Money
d) Soundcards that work with ALSA and aren't limited to 48Khz
   (dumb Extigy)
e) bugfixes and feature patches
Will be greatfully received, although, and I'm getting realistic here,
not really expected.

Hasta La Vista Baybee!
iain

--
"Things like Destiny's Child are just repressed sexuality. It happens
with boys and men too. I feel embarrassed for them when I listen to