[linux-audio-announce] GStreamer "Mobil Avenue" 0.7.3 released

Subject: [linux-audio-announce] GStreamer "Mobil Avenue" 0.7.3 released
From: Christian Schaller (uraeus_AT_linuxrising.org)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 15:46:09 EET

GStreamer "Mobil Avenue" 0.7.3 released

The GStreamer team is happy to announce our third release in the 0.7.x
development series of the GStreamer streaming-media framework. The goal
of this release series is to stabilize it towards a 0.8 release series
which will be part of the GNOME 2.6 releases and hopefully eventually
KDE 4.x.

The 0.7 series is a development series and is aimed at developers. It is
NOT API or ABI compatible with the stable 0.6.x series or with other
releases in the series. This means you can not use this release to
upgrade your current GStreamer installation and expect your GStreamer
applications to keep working. It is parallel installable with the 0.6.x
series however.

This development series contains a lot of improvements compared to the
0.6.x series and is a much better foundation for building advanced video
handling applications. Below we list most of the major changes and
additions. Most are included in this release, but not all are complete
yet as they will be in time for the 0.8.0 release.
New/improved features in 0.7.3 release

    * Added libcaca plugin for Ascii-Art colour output.
    * Fix bug hindering seeking from working
    * Fix RGB colorspace transformation bug
    * Solaris build fixes
    * Lots of work in the CAPS branch, will be merged right after this
release
    * gdkpixbuf loader no longer built by default, also fixed it in
regards to packaging
    * And as usual a ton of bugfixes

Download:
You find the latest tarballs of this release either on Sourceforge:
http://www.gstreamer.net/releases/0.7.3/

Applications

As mentioned there are some changes in API/ABI between the 0.6.x and
0.7.x releases. Many applications will probably be source compatible
between 0.6.x. and 0.7.x however. Rhythmbox and Sound Juicer for
instance works very well when compiled on 0.7.x. Gst-player do not work
accross releases however, so we will make a separate release of
gst-player with the needed fixes for it to work with 0.7.x. This release
contains the core fixes we where waiting for to port the player over so
expect a Gst-player release in the near future.

GStreamer Homepage

More details on these features can be found on the project's website,
http://gstreamer.net/.

Support and Bugs

We use Gnome's Bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests. The
"product name" is GStreamer (capital G).

Developers

GStreamer is hosted on SourceForge. As of this release we have moved
GStreamer CVS to freedesktop. All code is in CVS and can be checked out
from there. Interested developers of the core library, plug-ins, and
applications should subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list.

Contributors to this release

    * David Schleef <ds(AT)schleef.org>
    * Andy Wingo <wingo(AT)pobox.com>
    * Julien Moutte <julien(AT)moutte.net>
    * Ronald Bultje <rbultje(AT)ronald.bitfreak.net>
    * Iain Holmes <iain(AT)prettypeople.org>
    * Jérémy Simon <jsimon13(AT)yahoo.fr>
    * Leif Morgan Johnson <leif(AT)ambient.2y.net>
    * Benjamin Otte <in7y118(AT)public.uni-hamburg.de>
    * Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas(AT)apestaart.org>
    * Zeeshan Ali <zak147(AT)yahoo.com>
    * Jan Schmidt <thaytan(AT)mad.scientist.com>
    * Brian Cameron <brian.cameron(AT)sun.com>
    * Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus(AT)gnome.org>