[LAA] [ann] CAPS 0.4.0

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 17 2007 - 17:14:26 EEST

The C* Audio Plugin Suite reincarnates as version 0.4.0.

CAPS is a collection of LADSPA plugins enjoying worldwide favour for
its instrument amplifier emulation. In addition, it provides a
sizeable assortment of acclaimed audio DSP units, sound generators and
effects. CAPS is distributed as open source under the terms of the
GNU Public License.

  http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html
  http://quitte.de/dsp/caps_0.4.0.tar.gz

This release sees the addition of the fine work of David Yeh at CCRMA
on the emulation of classic tube amplifier tone stack circuits (more
here: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dtyeh/tonestack/ ).

Three new plugins are building on the tone stack: ToneStack and
ToneStackLT offer isolated implementations, while the new AmpVTS unit
combines a refined AmpV and a ToneStack circuit. I'm very grateful to
David for his brilliant contribution, and I'm quite positive that
those who actively use the CAPS Amps will share this sentiment.

Also primarily aimed at the discerning guitarist is the new AutoWah
plugin, offering a versatile rendition of this classic audio effect.

The last new plugin is Eq2x2, a two-channel 10-band graphic equalizer
modeled after an analogue design.

-*-

Beyond the new plugins, this release also brings tons of major
improvements "under the hood". All plugins have been hardened to work
glitch-free in the face of invalid control input. Much effort has
also been spent on further elimination of denormal numbers everywhere.
Parameter smoothing (which is performed in order to prevent zipper
noise) has been refined never to occur at the start of processing.
The build process can now be configured to take advantage of the SSE
and SSE3 extensions on the i686 platform, providing slight performance
gains and automatic denormal protection. The HTML documentation has
been thoroughly updated to reflect all changes. Finally, thanks to
Paul Winkler CAPS now comes with an improved RDF file containing
plugin categorisation.

For the near-complete list of changes please see
http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html#Changelog

-*-

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think.

Enjoy, and thank you for using CAPS,

Tim