[LAA] Rivendell 2.0.0beta0

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 19 2010 - 16:01:04 EEST

On behalf of the entire Rivendell development team, I'm pleased to announce
the release of the first BETA snapshot of Rivendell 2.x, v2.0.0beta0.
Rivendell is a full-featured radio automation system targeted for use in
professional broadcast environments. It is available under the GNU General
Public License.

Rivendell 2.x features many changes and improvements over the 1.x series, some
of which are highlighted in the NEWS file, excerpted below:

*** snip snip ***
This is the initial BETA release of Rivendell 2.x. Some of the major changes
over 1.x include:

   MPEG Capture/Playout. Rivendell can now be optionally compiled to
   support use of MPEG Layer 2 in the core storage library for all audio
   driver families (ALSA and JACK as well as AudioScience HPI).

   Web Services Architecture. Many internal services within Rivendell are now
   implemented via a web services API. Among other benefits, this approach
   allows these services to be easily accessed by third-party systems by means
   of the widely support HTTP protocol.

   Linux User Support. Any 'regular' user account can now access Rivendell;
   gone is the concept of a single 'Rivendell User' under which all Rivendell
   operations must occur.

   Replicators. Rivendell now sports a generic replication interface that can
   be used to create services to transport audio and other Rivendell data
   to/from external systems.

Many other changes too numerous to list here have occurred as well; see the
ChangeLog for details. For a concise summary of changes from the point of
view of a system administrator looking to upgrade an existing Rivendell 1.x
system to 2.x, see the file 'UPGRADING'.

Database Update:
   This version of Rivendell uses database schema version 199, and will
   automatically upgrade any earlier versions. To see the current schema
   version prior to upgrade, see RDAdmin->SystemInfo.

   As always, be sure to run RDAdmin immediately after upgrading to allow
   any necessary changes to the database schema to be applied. Due to the
   complexity of the schema changes required for this update, the process
   may take significantly longer to execute than is commonly the case;
   users are cautioned to allow for ample time operationally.
*** snip snip ***

Please note that this is a BETA release; it is intended primarily for testing
and verification. Do NOT put it on the air unless you understand precisely
what you are doing.

Further information, screenshots and download links are available at:

        http://www.rivendellaudio.org/

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers. |
| -- Leonard Brandwein |