[LAA] RhythmDelay: tap a rhythm into your delay, and much more.

From: Bart Brouns <bart@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 14 2014 - 15:02:14 EEST

Hi Everybody,

I made a delay where you don't tap in a tempo but an actual rhythm.

https://github.com/magnetophon/RhythmDelay

The 'much more' refers to ways of manipulating the sound of the
delay-taps.

In the studio, I find that I almost never use a straight delay.
It sounds way to clean and in your face, so I usually have a combination
of filters, a widener, reverb, and a way of having different delay-times
for L and R.

Here I combined all that into one very flexible setup:

Each tap has its own lp and hp-filters, zita-reverb, stereo-width and a
delay-based panner.

Each tap can have it's own settings for the insert-FX, but instead of a
control-panel per tap I made just two, and a slider per tap to morph
between them.

Once you get the concept, it's a really quick and easy way of making
everything from subtle polished delay effects to all-out dub-style
madness.

Have fun!!

Cheers, Bart.

PS:

The following is a long-winded question that will probably be much
easier to follow if you actually try out the effect before/ while
reading this:

I'd love to get some opinions and ideas on the feedback mechanism I
implemented.
In particular this: when the feedback amount is non-zero, and you are
tapping a new rhythm, while making sound, I have two choices:
- either I turn on and off the feedback tap after the feedback-delay.
- or I do it before it.

The first option is what I did now: it has the effect of starting to
feedback the sound you just made right after you tap. Which is what
you'd expect to happen in a normal delay, but has the downside that it
breaks up the rhythmic pattern you're tapping if any tap is longer than
the previous.

The second option will only start feedbacking the sounds you made after
you hit the tap button. This has the effect that the first time you tap
a new rhythm, only the tapped rhythm is heard, and the feedback only
starts for any sounds after the last tap.

This decision is moot if you don't make sounds while tapping a new
rhythm, but since I'd like to be able to use this live as well, I'd like
to some ideas.