Re: [linux-audio-dev] some basic sound questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some basic sound questions
From: Bill Schottstaedt (bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: pe marras 13 1998 - 08:58:49 EST

> * A sound meter or sound level tool that graphically displays the levels of
> sound currently coming into the soundcard's input jacks.

Snd doesn't display this because the analog in-coming
signals aren't available to it -- it sees the ADC output
after all the various hardware gains and mixers have messed
with it. You could probably hook up a mixer and watch
its meters. I haven't seen a card that has digital inputs,
though they apparently exist. You could also set all the
Snd gains (the vertical sliders) to 1, and I suppose

you'd see the signal unchanged.

> OSS-Linux provides multiple /dev/dsp's, and I believe 2.1 kernels do
> this as well.

Snd/CLM support these -- the real problem here, in OSS,
is that you can't easily tell from software which /dev/dsps
and /dev/mixers belong together, and which are actually
auxilliary (that is, if you have two cards, it's not always
easy to tell what the primary device numbers are).