Re: Virtual midi devices?

Subject: Re: Virtual midi devices?
From: 4Front Technologies (info_AT_opensound.com)
Date: pe loka   30 1998 - 16:18:16 EST

Paul Winkler wrote:

> I notice that OSS/Linux has multiple /dev/midi devices, but I can't
> figure out how to use them.

Basically, each /dev/midi device corresponds to the device entry under
MIDI devices when you type cat /dev/sndstat. Only the Synth devices are
controlled by /dev/music or /dev/sequencer.

> I only have one computer, and I'd like to use a sequencer application
> (possibly Rosegarden or Jazz++) while hearing its output through a
> software synthesizer such as RTSynth or Csound.

Should be possible since /dev/midi channels are independant of /dev/dsp channels.

> Or if I could even use a simple midi player like playmidi or mplay, and
> send its output to the softsynth, that would be great. Trouble is, these
> applications expect to receive midi input from the hardware midi input,
> not from another application.

You can take a look at some sample code at ftp://ftp.4front-tech.com/ossfree/samples.tar.gz
and we have some code to read midi data and write data to othe synth/midi devices.

So once you have an application that's reading MIDI data, you can tie it up to another
application that reads the input and outputs audio data like RTCMIx or CSound or even
playmidi.

We are still working on the documentation (pdf) for /dev/music but enclosed is a rough
draft (please do not distribute since this is very alpha and many figures are missing)

Best regards
Tech Support

4Front Technologies

4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA. Tel: (310) 202 8530 URL: www.opensound.com Fax: (310) 202 0496 Email: info_AT_opensound.com ---------------------------------------------------------------------

music.pdf