[linux-audio-dev] Reverbs

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Reverbs
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma tammi  25 1999 - 11:54:51 EST

I have written a reverb: look at "http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/reverb/"
for samples but not for code.

It looks like a set of N delaylines with feedbacks to each other
is patented. Or is it? That was claimed by Jean-Marc Jot owning
a patent for a reverb. My reverb doesn't use the optimization method
described in Jot's papers.

Is simple delayline patented? Can we have any delay at all?
What combinations of several delaylines are not patented?
If I don't make a full feedback from delay line to delay line
but leave some out, the Jot may claim I just have full feedback
matrix with 0 entries.

What if I make a new, a different invent related to full feedback
system, then should I still pay to Jot? Or would my patent be safe?

Sonic Flow uses some network. Is that patented? What if I convert
that to matrix form and get combinations of several full feedback
matrix forms? Then patent apply to it?

What delay networks were used before 1991? I guess I could use those
even not optimized by Jot's method. I could use a different method to
optimize it and be safe. Right? Or is the optimum situation patented
as well -- i.e, the mathematical rules on that situation?

Now I make the matrix differently than Jot. It gives pleasant reverb
but perhaps not optimal. I plan to analyze the system further if
I can use the full feedback system in my "invent".

Is the rule that "distinct delay lines should have prime/relatively prime
lengths" patented?

What about a system where I have one delay line with multiple outputs
along the delay line, all feedback to delay input? To different inputs
along the delay line?

Note that a wave display with edit operations is also patented, making
a plenty of free software illegal. Where is the line of using patented
ideas?

Yours,

Juhana