Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: Adam Zygmunt (azygmun_AT_bgnet.bgsu.edu)
Date: ti elo    10 1999 - 14:34:27 EDT

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:

> Please try latencytest (http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/audio/).
>
> Possible reasons for your RTSynth results:
>
> * You give fragment sizes but not the number of fragments..the product
> of those is the total audio buffer size.
>
> * RTSynth probably doesn't have a lot of disk activity.
>
> * It may also not use much of your processor leaving a lot of slack in
> which to catch up.
>
> If you want to generate dropouts in RTSynth, try running top at the
> same time. You'll also find out RTSynth's processor load. :) You can
> also try creating a 200M file (head -c 200000000 /dev/zero >tmpfile)
> while RTSynth is running. Deleting the file is probably even more
> likely to cause dropouts.
>
> Best,
>
> Eric

Not to be snotty, but this reminds me of the old joke, "Doctor, it hurts
when I do this." "So don't do that!" My take is that we may actually have
some helpful hints for making a software sequencer - avoid disk access in
the synth, and avoid taxing the CPU. I also wouldn't expect to use a web
or central X server as a software synth at the same time with even the
most ideal kernel, either.

Adam Zygmunt