Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] can't get any dropouts?
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: to elo    12 1999 - 11:43:41 EDT

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Eli Brandt wrote:

> Yeah, the IDE drivers are reported to be tools of the devil in this
> respect.
> > the rt problem on the other hand has already been solved by the
> > kids at the rtlinux project.
>
> But RTLinux doesn't do anything for Linux itself -- it's an RT monitor
> that happens to run on the same machine as Linux. As you say: no
> protection, no system calls, bare-bone synch primitives, and you talk
> to the Linux subprocess through the moral equivalent of a serial line.

        perhaps only the basic stuff need be implemented on that level,
like yelling at the kernel to schedule something right this moment, or
something similar. hack hack hack hack.

> I bet the Linux-kernel community could muster up resources to match
> the efforts of Sun or SGI or IBM, but it _would_ be a grievous pain in
> the ass, and the idea would probably... not match Linus' aesthetic.

        i agree with the concern that rtlinux is somewhat half-assed. the
normal concern i hear is that because linux is developed by a community it
would be very hard to keep track of all the fine-grained locks which would
be required.
        i also agree that perhaps we can get good enough performance so
that we can stay in linux land. i'm only interested that the final
product should work, be available sooner rather than later, and allow me
to use linux normally with most other stuff.
        i don't care how it gets done, i just want to be able to write
music and record on linux.

                                rob

---
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu