Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux real-time audio performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux real-time audio performance
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: to elo    19 1999 - 19:21:35 EDT

est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo discourseth:
> > Has anybody made a comparision of the performance of a standard process
> > vs a realtime process (ie using sched_setscheduler) vs rt-linux vs
> > linux kernel with patches?
>
> I've done all of that..with various kernel versions and patches except
> rtlinux. You can pretty much count on occasional dropouts >50ms on
> stock linux. pre-2.2.8 is even worse. Using linux 2.2.10 and the
> latest (non-public) patches this comes down to 3ms..and at that point
> it starts to become processor rather than disk dependent so I should
> say that that's on my amd k6-2/350.

Just making sure I've got this right... You're talking about with the
POSIX realtime stuff, right? Have you compared this to equivalent code
that doesn't use the POSIX stuff?

(snip)
> > Care to write a paper about it?
>
> Well, these answers should be integrated into Paul Winkler's FAQ..and
> people should keep asking questions. :)

Will do. I'm a bit slowed down with it at the moment. Maybe next week
some new stuff will be up. the main thing I am working on is adding
user-level posting/editing capability. There are some cgi packages out
there that do this; I'm checking them out to see what would work for me.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/