Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: la elo    21 1999 - 01:36:52 EDT

David Slomin wrote:

> Algorithms tend to come under the category of plugins. This is another
> issue I've thought a lot about. Keeping plugin-writing simple and
> powerful is the main reason I'm so adamant about keeping the fundamental
> data structure a single event list for the whole song (not even separate
> lists for separate tracks). The algorithms are far simpler when you're
> dealing with linear streams. I've lost a lot of hair because of CAL.

What's CAL?

And while I'm asking: Why does separate lists for separate tracks make
things harder? How might one implement tracks with a single list? (I ask
because I might someday resurrect my "pscore" project, which was a perl
module for playing with csound scores; I found keeping tracks in
separate lists was an obvious way to make sense of what I was doing, but
then I didn't spend much time thinking about alternatives.)

> Anyway I think that once I get this done, we'll be well on our way to
> having a really kick-ass music production system from the LAD community.

Any idea when your code might be made public?
I'm pretty frustrated with most sequencers I've tried...

> 3. A solid, non-sequencing audio sample editor/recorder. It looks like
> Snd is starting to become mature enough to fill this niche. I rank audio
> effects as much less important than the core editing functions here.

That's fine-- Snd now supports plugins, so maybe we'll start to see
people come up with snd plugins. And I noticed from the documentation
that it is even theoretically possible to use csound as a plugin for snd
(by writing temp files... slow but it should work).

> 4. A good non-realtime audio sequencer/mixer/compositor. The recent
> progress on Mix sounds very promising here, although the nine track limit
> sounds very artificial to me.

Yep, I'd be in favor of removing that ASAP.

> Then again, I'm personally biased towards
> Rt (also ported to Linux from SGI, with similar Motif troubles) which was
> written by my prof.

Cool! Rt remains the only non-MIDI computer-music system with which I've
ever actually _finished_ a composition. (It's on my webpage, in fact.
Too bad I have long since lost the rt script, and all the source
soundfiles. :( )

> To respond to another thread, I'd not be adverse to writing a perl script
> that would turn CSound into a compositor of this sort, reading a Mix, Rt,
> or custom format script file. However, I'm a little busy with the
> sequencer right now, and there are other people here who are much better
> at CSound than me (most of you, in fact!).

I would like to do this script, but I don't know when I would get around
to it. Also I'd probably do it in Python, not perl, just because I kind
of like python.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/