Re: [linux-audio-dev] sequencing..Symbolic Control Protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sequencing..Symbolic Control Protocol
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: la elo    21 1999 - 20:59:37 EDT

David Slomin discourseth:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
>
> > I'm totally into this approach. I think a canonical textual
> > representation is useful as well.
>
> I tend to worry about tying a protocol to a single language, although it
> can have its benefits. However, when you're talking about streaming, a
> language like scheme (which supports loops and functions, inherently
> nonlinear concepts) would be even more inappropriate than XML.

I'm only using the lexical structure of scheme symbolic expressions,
so it's not tied to any language in the sense of transmitting
executable code. Oolaboola uses it to communicate between programs
written in C++ and Python..no Scheme in the mix!

> Have you seen SKINI? My favorite prof, Perry Cook came up with it as
> a textual representation for MIDI (and then some). It is used directly by
> his Synthesis Toolkit (see either Princeton or CCRMA), but can easily be
> translated to/from MIDI and other streaming event protocols. I wouldn't
> call it perfect by any means, but it wouldn't be a terrible place to
> start.

I'd love to see it. The scp thing is almost a meta-protocol..not
really incompatible with anything..and ready to digest many
paradigms. :) I haven't looked much at Synthesis Toolkit because, last
I looked, it had a restrictive license.

Eric