Re: [linux-audio-dev] The future of libsndfile

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The future of libsndfile
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: su elo    22 1999 - 18:12:40 EDT

Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Yes I think this is a good idea. I have been thinking about cleaning up the
> > header writing code and when I do this I will add an interface something
> > like sf_update_header () which will rewrite the header with the number
> > of samples written at the time it is called.
>
> An alternative could be setting an "Auto header updating" property at
> open time and conditionally rewriting the header each write call. Don't know
> what it's better.

I'll definitely consider it, but I will add an explicit sf_update_header ()
for people who don't want the auto feature.

> I think that basically (but still in a general way) non-destructive
> editing can be done using just a playing list of audio fragments, that
> supports fragment insertion/deletion and splitting a fragment in two,
> seeking and reading samples.
>
> I think I'll post a C++ API proposal in a week or two.

This is still a bit premature for libsndfile but I'd be very
interested in your thoughts.

> Erik, do you think you (or I) could do little changes to libsndfile
> _internals_ to allow a better code sharing between C and C++ interfaces?
> I'm speaking about moving some code in a separate file, splitting a
> function call in two or so.

I'll certainly consider it. What were you proposing? Be aware that I
am already hacking away at the internals so that while I am still
able to cope with the load, it may be better if I do the changes on
my current development tree.

Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC
Berkeley or thereabouts.  Similar in many ways to the prescription-only
medication called "System V", but infinitely more useful. (Or, at least,
more fun.)  The full chemical name is "Berkeley Standard Distribution".