Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework
From: Andreas Voss (andreas_AT_avix.rhein-neckar.de)
Date: ke elo    25 1999 - 17:40:21 EDT

David Slomin wrote:

> As a simple example, most of the time, you would want note-on and
> note-off events to be combined into note-with-duration pseudo events,
> but if you're addressing a drum machine, it is perfectly valid to have
> note-on's without corresponding note-off's.

True, but if you separate these internally, I'm afraid that the code will
become quite complicated because on all processing you have to deal with
pairs note-on/note-off and you have to be prepared that the note-off is
missing. Dont think its worth the extra trouble.

> The reason I'm writing this bugger is because I'm fed up with suboptimal
> interfaces specifically for MIDI editing, not because I want to create a
> half-hearted attempt to handle everything. I really am shooting for the
> truly perfect UI, to the best of my ability.

If you write a highly specialized piano roll editor that edits NoteEvent
objects, couldn't there be a java interface that specifies the methods of
these NoteEvents so it can be implemented in different ways, e.g.
MidiNoteEvent, CSoundNoteEvent etc?

> Check out the class derivation:

I came up with a similar class hierarchy for the midi backend. But the
rest of the application operates on abstract (not midi specific) event
interfaces, that support a variable number of parameters. These interfaces
are implemented by the specialized midi, csound or whatever event classes.

Also I think a single track-no is not powerful enough to structure a song.
If you had a PhraseEvent (an event that can contain other events),
arranging of a song (like intro, refrain etc) would be much easier. Also
it would allow to have nested structure (e.g. notes in a chord in a phrase
in a track in a song).

I agree that there is no "right" way to design a sequencer. If you want a
pure midi editor, your approach is the way to go. If you want to support
other musical concepts too, the flat midi event structure is probably not
the best foundation for the internal structures of a sequencer.

Best Regards,
Andreas