Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: sequencing..Symbolic Control Protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: sequencing..Symbolic Control Protocol
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: to elo    26 1999 - 15:51:11 EDT

Eli Brandt discourseth:

> Interesting. I'm imagining that an scp-using program would accept an
> arbitrary scp grammar, and let you edit a stream of events within that
> grammar.

Exactly.

> Hmm, where's the timing, attached to each event?

The files I'm generating at the moment are of the form:

 (delta <time since preceeding event> <event>) ...

> One point to look at is whether this carries enough semantic
> information for the editor to use.

Certainly not yet..or not to be fun to use anyhow.

> The grammar elements (timestamp
> blah float) and (stretch blah float) are formally indistinguishable
> until you grok the words "timestamp" and "stretch", but an editor
> wants to put different UI handles on those floats.

Yeah, the editor *has* to know about times. Conventions for many
other things are desirable as well.

An editor might be able to provide *some* conveniences based on the
actual usage in a data stream it's editing. After all, if a parameter
is set once at the beginning, it's an instrument/performance
parameter. If it's set thousands of times, it's a continuous
controller.

This is all of fairly vital interest to me since I'm already
generating the data sets. :O

> BTW, a different approach to control:
> http://cnmat.CNMAT.Berkeley.EDU/OpenSoundControl/
> Hierarchical specification of message target; opaque binary message data.
> Hard to edit opaque binary data, isn't it?

Eww..but I shall check it out! :)

> > One obvious question about the scp approach is `why not XML'?
>
> "<foo>bar baz</foo>", "(foo bar baz)", what's the difference, right?
> If, as I understand it, XML tags are paren-nested.

More or less yeah. I'd think that (e.g.) a (note-on 5 60 90) scp
datum plus an scp midi grammar should allow the automatic creation of
<note-on channel=5 key=60 velocity=90> and vice versa.

Eric