Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker vs. sequencer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker vs. sequencer
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: pe elo    27 1999 - 17:31:31 EDT

Jeff Brown wrote:
> I've never heard the term "tracker" before. What's the difference?
> What's are a few examples of both?

"Trackers" are descendants of the Amiga MOD / "demo" scene. Examples are
ImpulseTracker, FastTracker2, and (on Linux) FunkTracker Gold and some
others I haven't tried. They are sequencers of a sort: they use a
text-based representation of note events, usually organized into
columns. The note events are triggered sound samples. They usually have
little or no processing capability, just play the samples at different
pitches with maybe some envelope control and pitch modulation. Usually
the samples get saved into a single file along with the sequence. I
don't know of any trackers that can be controlled by MIDI; it's all done
at the computer keyboard.

I briefly played with trackers a year or two ago, but found them
simultaneously too clunky to work with and way too inflexible, a
thoroughly pointless combination IMHO. If I want clunkiness I'll take
Csound, thanks very much. :)

--

---------------- paul winkler ------------------ slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/ ======================================================