Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker vs. sequencer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracker vs. sequencer
From: reactor/CTPmedia (reactor_AT_sagv5.gyakg.u-szeged.hu)
Date: su elo    29 1999 - 11:14:01 EDT

>% This relatively inflexible, single level of structure is, I believe,
>% singlehandedly responsible for the fact that 90% of the music created with
>% trackers falls in the techno genre. The pattern structure just seems best
>% suited to techno. (I have heard a few very nice non-techno MODs along the
>% way, but they're a tiny minority.)

if you think about the tracker as a multichannel stepsequencer, it's
obvious, why it is used to make mostly techno music.

the tracker concept may seem inflexible, but you can achieve great things
with it. the only thing you can do with a sequencer but not with a tracker
is to make chords easily. in a tracker you have to split your chord, and
put each note to a separate channel. i wanna get around this, but i haven't
found the right idea to avoid this. maybe "piano-roll view" would be the
best solution. please, tell me your ideas!

bye!

--

Máté Rácz a.k.a. reactor - http://linux.gyakg.u-szeged.hu/~reactor/ CTP media - since 1995 - http://ctpmedia.scene.hu/