loopback in action!

Subject: loopback in action!
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ti elo    31 1999 - 04:09:00 EDT

ALSA kicks ass! :) Seriously, I'm currently writing a ALSA plugin
for Michael Krause's soundtracker. It's still in early beta (output
only, scopes aren't working, etc), but simple module playback works
nicely. Anyway, I decided to finally do some real testing with ALSA
pcm-loopback and it proved to work amazingly well...

First, configured sountracker to use ALSA card 0 and device 0. Then
started playing some mod file and on to another console...:

 ecasound -i alsalb,0,0 -o alsa,1,0 -etr:40,0,60

A reverbed version of the module comes from my speakers! :) And...

 ecasound -i alsalb,0,0 -o alsa,1,0 -efl:2000 -kos:1,200,4000,0.2

A lowpass filtered version with a 0.2Hz sine oscillator controlling
the filter cutoff! Don't know how useful this is, but this sure put
a big smile on my face. ;)

Software versions used were ALSA 0.4.0, SoundTracker 0.3.1 (w/ patched
ALSA support) and ecasound 1.5.6r5.

PS The biggest problem was that if I tried to capture output from
   my AWE64G, the capturing program sometimes exited with a
   "Interrupted system call" error...

--
Kai Vehmanen ----------------------------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 : email                                 mailto:kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi