Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke syys   01 1999 - 22:03:56 EDT

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Eli Brandt wrote:

> Or if the language has higher-order functions, you can do this by
> composing the ones you're using to get a new one.

Errrgh. I can think in procedural. I can think in OO. I can think
in list-oriented. I can even think in stack-based. Trying to think in
functional always makes my head ache.

Not to put functional programming down... it is abstractly very neat, but
I had a fairly bad experience with SML-NJ, and an absolutely aweful time
with pure lamda calc (damnit, I don't want to have to derive the concepts
of one and zero!).

On a more pragmatic note, I was shooting to implement this in Java, which
although it is a bastard child of languages, did not manage to inherit
the concept of functional programming. Actually, now that I think about
it, you probably could do it by making abusive use of java.lang.Class, but
I wouldn't recommend it.

Div.