Re: [linux-audio-dev] Structure

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Structure
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: to syys   02 1999 - 22:38:18 EDT

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, P.J.Leonard wrote:

> Since there has been some interest in tracks and events I will
> contribute my own little scheme for your musings. This structure is
> the result of a few years evolution. What follows is the skeleton of the
> structure.

I'm very impressed... that sounds quite near optimal for a
strongly-structured song representation. However, I think what you've
designed is not a sequencer, but an song representation language, a la
Common Music (CCRMA). CM shares a fairly similar design, and is not
realtime or GUI oriented... just the issues you mentioned. If you
implement yours so that it is not so heavily tied down to Lisp (as is CM),
then I'll personally be quite interested in using it.

Keep in mind that I think a structured song representation language and a
sequencer make very good complementary tools, each of which is doomed to
fail if it tries to subsume the tasks of the other.

Then again, where does that put JMax, which falls somewhere in between.
It's not suited to be a sequencer, but it runs in realtime. It's far from
optimized at representing the complete structure of a song, yet inherently
deals with heirarchical structure (a "phrase start" event triggers the
events within that phrase to be output, and so forth). It even goes a
step further, by allowing the "parts within parts" to be dynamic or even
nondeterministic.

Hmm,
Div.