Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Bandlimited interpolation suitable for realtime audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Bandlimited interpolation suitable for realtime audio
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: su syys   05 1999 - 12:23:18 EDT

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Julius Smith wrote:

> In that case you could upsample once when loading the .wav file
> using a high-quality converter. This would increase the load time, of course,
> which could be a problem if you want to support dynamic loading of wave files

Please forgive my ignorance, but is there really such a thing as
upsampling without introducing distortion? I mean, I thought the rule
was you can always filter-out data, but you can't put it back in from
nowhere without doing some harm. I can see how interpolation (linear or
higher order) would help, but it still wouldn't be the "real" waveform,
right? For instance, could it successfully counteract Nyquist foldover?

Just curious,
Div.