Re: [linux-audio-dev] more re csound -L

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more re csound -L
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ti syys   07 1999 - 09:49:43 EDT

Paul Winkler discourseth:
> est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
> >
> > I'm getting good results. Interested parties should see
> > www.hyperreal.org/~est/csound/csoundL.tar.gz.
>
> Thanks a lot! This definitely answers some of my questions.
>
> I tried changing that last loop to run nothing but lots() 4 times, then
> run that loop 16 times. On my system, having 30 events in lots() doesn't
> work so well... it starts out sounding good, but within 5 seconds timing
> has gone haywire and notes are breaking down into a blur of successive
> notes...

That's with the single call to os.write() per call to lots? Hmm, I
don't have that problem at all. Maybe you should try it with
unofficial-csound-3.57.0.1d-linux.

> [ with another method] I can only get about n = 12 before timing starts to go
> bad. Though it doesn't sound like individual "notes" (calls to lots())
> are blurred; rather, they are misplaced in time. (Blurring happens
> quickly with much higher values of n.)
[also]
> You would think that for a given n, lotsn() would fare better than
> lotsmore() since it only ever calls os.write() once.
> But I'm not finding much difference...

It's partly a matter of reliability. Someone else might run *between*
your calls to write.

Anyhow, to really isolate these problems, you'd need to run both
processes as real-time processes, apply the real-time patches, and
upgrade your HZ (..and possibly also change the SCHED_RR
quantum..yikes! i haven't looked into that question yet.). I hadn't
done *any* of that and got good (though no doubt unreliable) results,
but lacking any of those can easily cause some of the problems you
described.

Eric