[linux-audio-dev] Re: python audio development details, etc

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: python audio development details, etc
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: ke syys   08 1999 - 04:54:30 EDT

est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
> BTW, I'm working on a real-time implementation of Scheme. It will
> allow a lot of the easy extensibility Python provides along with the
> speed of more of a `systems language'.

Cool idea. That might get me to finally get my lisp feet wet (so far all
I do is wrangle my .emacs file into something that sort of does what I
want even if I don't understand it.)
I hesitate to ask how you will accomplish the speed. (probably way over
my head!)

> > "event compression"? What's that?
>
> That's where you disregard all but the most recent value of a stream
> of cc events. My streaming midi input module does it when the client
> hands it a chunk of input containing more than one event for a given
> continuous controller. In that case, it calls the callback only for
> the last event for each controller. If the client hands it one or two
> bytes at a time, there's no compression.

Hmm, very useful idea. not sure if it applies to anything in my project
but I'll keep it in mind.

> > > Hmm..what was your k-rate..and your overall system configuration.
> >
> > Don't remember k-rate.
> > I haven't tweaked my system much at all. What specifically?
>
> Oh, what kind of cpu and kernel for example.

Celeron 333, 66 mhz bus (gotta switch to PC100 RAM), kernel 2.0.36. I'm
about due for a major linux upgrade but I like to wait till there's a
compelling reason to get a new CD so I don't have to download quite so
much.

> > Hmmm, maybe I should try that kernel recompile with higher HZ...
>
> It's good for tight timing. At the moment it tends to screw up
> various utilities though. top(1) becomes fairly useless for example.

Well, I can just keep my old kernel handy and give it a different LILO
image.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.

zarmzarm_AT_hotmail.com --or-- slinkp AT ulster DOT net
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/