[linux-audio-dev] Re: sysex -> csound score event

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: sysex -> csound score event
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke syys   08 1999 - 15:09:25 EDT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:

> Sure, just use a transducer ahead of csound in the pipe that unwraps
> the score events from the sysex's. This makes it generic to any
> program that accepts extended textual events.

Very nice... I feel silly for not having thought of that myself. I've
never personally used Csound in that manner though (driving it in realtime
but using its native score language on a pipe rather than MIDI); can it
really do that?

> Well, there are some ways it might perhaps be made easier to use.
> For example, you might have a sysex that specified a translation
> scheme for note events..basically a string with escapes for key and
> velocity in it. The transducer could then apply that scheme to
> subsequent note events. I think we'll discover plenty of such tricks
> just playing around with such a system.

Very utterly cool. You could then build up a many-parametered Csound
event out of several MIDI events (note-on event for pitch and velocity, cc
events for most of the others). This is worlds better than my original
idea because it lets you utilize your MIDI keyboard's real sliders and
knobs (and your sequencer's visual editors for same), rather than stuffing
everything into an unwieldy, opaque sysex.

Want me to implement it or will you?

Great ideas!
Div.