Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti syys   21 1999 - 18:29:48 EDT

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> ps. Going slightly off the wall, I think that you handle the GUI element
> of a plugin API by dynamically compiling the plugin.

That's useful, but it mustn't under any circumstances be the only way to do it,
as that rules out proprietary plug-ins. I hardly think it will be easier to get
the Big Guys to port plug-ins if they have to release even the GUI source.

However, some hybrid solution might be a way to get fast native GUIs without
the need for real source code... And there's always to "multiple binaries"
solution, which could still be a lot nicer than what developers have to face
with existing systems. Needing only to compile (and not rewrite) the GUI code
for different platforms would be a big improvement.

[...closure based plug-in example...]

I like it. And it kind of fits well together with the fully event based
instantiation procedure I had in mind... The details of how the plug-in wants
to keep track of state info etc can be hidden from the engine, which means
that the public part of a closure (previously: plugin instance struct) can be
kept very simple without limiting the capabilities of the plug-in API. Have to
think more about this... But I'll post some more ideas on the event system
first.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer