Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: pe syys   24 1999 - 13:43:08 EDT

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:

> 100ms seems rather ridiculous to me .. the ping (64bytes ICMP) round
> trip time between 2 machines is <1ms on an idle 10mbit LAN, that means
> as long as you use the LAN for audio-only, you can get <20-30ms
> latency easily, or am I missing something ?

Here's a question... how does the latency compare amongst the core three
streaming IPC mechanisms on the _same_ machine: sockets, pipes, and shared
memory (with some sort of convention for using a ring buffer)?

I know shared memory is supposed to be instantaneous (although there've
been conflicting reports posted to the list recently), but it is not
inherently a streaming interface, so you need to manage the ring buffer
and locking yourself, which adds overhead.

Are local sockets and pipes any different? What are the actual numbers?

Since my NetMIDI toys already support pipes and sockets, I'm wondering if
it would be beneficial to concentrate on one of them, or add shared mem
too. I'd try to make my own measurements, but I don't trust my skills in
this area, since I'm not a realtime kind of guy.

Thanks,
Div.