Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: pe syys   24 1999 - 19:24:05 EDT

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >(Personally, I don't even think GUI and processing code should be
> >allowed to be in the same address space...)
>
> David, we're clearly not on the same planet :)

Are you kidding? :-)

> >And I certainly DON'T want to listen to the cooling compressors and fans of a
> >machine like that, so remote GUI is not only cool, but *required* for any
> >serious high end applications. Preferably, the X terminal should have a flash
> >disk (if any disk at all), and no fans. The Big Cool Box should be in the next
> >room.
>
> http://www.custom-consoles.com/

Yes, of course... :-) I'm actually planning to build something like that, but
I'm a bit worried about cooling of fast SMP machines. Sound traps and a big,
low RPM fan inside the box should do, I think...

> >in a big hard disk recording system, up to 50 ms latency for track insert
>
> my pro studio friends tell me that they *rarely* (if ever) record more
> than 16 tracks at once. keep this in mind. playback of, say 64 tracks,
> is a breeze compared with recording them, and the verdict from the
> users is: "we don't do that".

Now, I'm not following... Where did the "record vs. playback" discussion get
in? Anyway, personally, I rarely record more than 4 tracks at a time (partly
because I'm only one person!), but it's not hard to hit the 32 track limit on
my current Windoze system when mixing down a song.

Oh, "insert effects"... I was thinking about the mixdown phase - not the insert
fx used when recording the tracks. (Some call both "insert effects", but there
might be other terminologies in use...)

> >drivers, but can anyone tell me how to build a 16-way Celeron 500...? ;-)
>
> Wait 2 years. Buy a single processor :)

Yes, but will the new DSP "inventions" we all want to play with at that time run
on that? ;-) (And, I wan't to have some fun sooner than that. :-)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer