Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: AES, Linux and BeOS]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: AES, Linux and BeOS]
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: ma syys   27 1999 - 12:19:17 EDT

Linux vs BeOS
------------

I would say that the two systems could coexist peacefully because they
both have the potential to make power audio users happy.

I really don't see this as a ocmpetition. Do you rembember the early
years of cheap HDR ? Some people had ST systems with custom hardware,
while others were using a Mac... It could have lasted for years if ST
systems were PC's...

For some people, BeOS is a dream to work with : it provides very low
scheduling jitter, can turn a cheap PC into a guitar fx box, a reliable
sequencer... And if you want to browse the web or write some documents
while extracting audio tracks, that's ok. No brainer.

Linux is the choice for many on this list who are reasonably aware of
the inner working of a computer and how they can tune their box to use
it a DAW _or_ find the correct information to do so...

There are very good applications for Linux, the new alsa API is good,
IMHO, and the driver support is better than BeOS (but I'm afraid it
will change very soon (BeOS on Envy24, Sonorus, Event, RME)). The
potential of Linux as an audio workstation is IMMENSE but it's very
complicated to use... Don't tell me it _can_ be turned into an easy to
use OS, I know it... But people don't buy or use potentials.

I think both OSes are to be widely used by musicians and sound
designers, but there are sufficient differences between these OSes to
address diffrent people...

We should all agree that BeOS and Linux are to be seen as the
competition against MacOS and Windows rather than competing themselves.

I don't like Paul saying, wrt Steinberg :

"They seem to have
abandoned the idea of an IRIX port, and are focusing on BeOS. I gave
them a brief argument why this might be a bad idea."

It is quite useless to tell Steinberg that this is a bad idea, since

a) it is a good idea ;-)
b) they already have a working version.

It would be ALSO be a good idea to port it to Linux, but that's
different.

Anyway, thank you for your good work, Paul...

Benjamin-