Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: music widgets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: music widgets
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: su syys   26 1999 - 23:07:01 EDT

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, David Slomin wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, rob wrote:
> Why do I use Cakewalk instead of Cubase? Because I like its piano roll
> widget better. But I don't like it enough, which is one of the primary
> reasons I'm writing my own sequencer. Why does Finale cost more than
> Encore? Because its staff widget is fuller-featured. I'm sure the same
> can be said of the other widgets you're describing.

        you bring up a very important point. a real common problem i
have is for example: i like logic, except for the staff editing which
doesn't really suit me. for staff editing i prefer cakewalk, however i
think that cakewalk is much less mature than logic.
        so why can't i have cake's staff editing in logic? well, for
companies it would be silly to let a competitor have the things that make
their program unique. this is best for the company but certainly not for
the consumer.
        as open source folk, there are two types of resuse. modular
reuse, for example in libraries that are common, and cut and paste reuse,
where one can use another application's code as a starting point for my
own improvements. and those improvements can be released back for others
to use. this means that the advantage of creating a set of common music
widgets is not only in their use as is, but as starting points for other
to improve.
        i think that it would be interesting to have pluggable editors.
editing and composition styles create strong likes and dislikes of certain
interfaces, but there is no objective way to judge a particular widget as
the *best*. so the easiest way to work with this, is to let the user have
a set of choices that they could easily use, and which needn't force them
to choose a program on the basis of a certain feature.
        additionally scripting langauges....like lisp or scheme (guile) or
tcl can create a sort of emacs for music.
        does this make any sense?

                                rob

----
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu