[linux-audio-dev] Re: (GTK widgets for music apps)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: (GTK widgets for music apps)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma syys   27 1999 - 15:20:07 EDT

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, rob wrote:
> hey,
> anyone interested in getting together a set of semi-std gtk
> widgets for music apps like say...a waveform editor, track display, staff
> display/editor, piano roll display and the like. it would seem that some
> nice reusable componenets would make putting together apps a bit easier.
> whatdya think?
> rob

Sound nice, but far from trivial. That kind of widgets would have to be very
flexible to be adopted, and flexible designs are hard to make efficient.

A basic rule: Build functionality into the *design*, not the code. Or; usable
features, rather than lots of features. Kind of the way to design hardware, as
opposed to the way way too much software is designed... Computers are *NOT*
infinitely fast, as high level language folks seem to think. *hehe*

Anyway, I've thought about that kind of stuff before, and I'm probably not
alone, so feel free to describe your ideas on the list - I'm sure you can get
some useful feedback. :-)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer