Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Plugin API
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke loka   06 1999 - 14:51:43 EDT

On Wed, 06 Oct 1999, Benjamin GOLINVAUX wrote:
> >Yeah... And M$ worked pretty hard on making sure DirectX got as Windoze
> >dependent as possible. As usual...
>
> Hum Hem Hom Erm Glop
>
> DirectX is based on COM... it _is_ a crappy interface for audio, but any COM
> implementation could host a DirectX set of objects and interfaces. I agree
> COM is widely adopted on windows only, but it is not
> bound, by nature, to the Win32 api, or to the kernel (because it runs under
> 9x and NT/2K which have very
> different kernels).
>
> COM is a quite nice technology... Perhaps too heavy for audio plug-ins, but
> powerful and multi-purpose.

Yes, now that you mention it... But what about all the code inside the actual
implementations of COM objects? DirectX plug-ins with the GUI built right in...
How many DX plug-ins would actually port without porting a few other - Windoze
specific - COM objects as well? I can't say I have very detailed knowledge in
this area, so I'd like to see a comment from someone who does.

BTW, Java is platform independent, right? ;-)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer