[linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: to loka   07 1999 - 00:58:43 EDT

To see the latest in my line of programs inspired by "hmm, Creamware
make nice GUI's but I can write that myself", take a look at this:

     http://www.op.net/~pbd/hdr/screen.gif

You see only the strip window - there is a parallel window containing
bus controls. These will be merged into a notebook-style arrangement
soon.

This is a HDR program oriented toward live multi-track recording
(distinct from many Linux programs that seem geared to recoding single
tracks and merging them into a multi-track context). Currently, it
allows multitrack recording to and from ALSA-supported soundcards, and
over the weekend, or before, I will add support for multi-channel
soundfiles as both a recording source and destination. Any number of
tracks and buses are supported, subject only to machine limits. Full
MIDI control of relevant controls is of course supported.

As usual, work is needed on the GUI visuals, but as an example of code
re-use (c/o Quasimodo), its been pretty impressive - what you see took
me 2 days to write, and features the same GUI/engine separation as
Quasimodo. I still have to add support for inserts, but plan to wait
for our API debate to settle since then I'll know what API to use :)

Any resemblance to the Creamware mixer for the Pulsar/SCOPE is
entirely deliberate.

--p

ps. this program is dedicated to a <company elided> employee reported
to have said "I don't understand these Linux people. Why do they want
to do for free what I do for <company elided> ?"

pps. i suddenly saw a bright future this evening with
Linux/ALSA. Imagine this beautifully modular system: an automated
mixer like this one that writes Standard MIDI files as its automation
session record, and can connect to the ALSA sequencer for automation
playback. To automate a session, you fire up your preferred ALSA
sequencer-compatible MIDI player, and dump the automation session into
the sequencer. Presto - the mixer is automated. This is something that
my studio friends would truly be impressed by. "Free automation ? Who
are these Linux people ?" No, it probably would not be sample accurate
(though who knows), but wow, would it be cool.