Re: [linux-audio-dev] API design again

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] API design again
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 18:02:24 EDT

On Sat, 09 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >It is, but what's the big difference from making the real_process()
> >function an inline and "call" it yourself from within the
> >process_with_events() function's decoding loop?
>
> its extremely unlikely to be coded inline except by the truly
> fanatical writers of the smallest plugin imaginable. if compiled with
> -fomit-frame-pointer, the cost of a function call pails compared to
> the register optimization possibilities that open up for the compiler
> as a result of it having its own frame.

inline real_process(...)
{
};

was what I had in mind, actually... But you're right; you don't even
have to do that with a decent compiler.

> >All you have to do is check the time stamps... (Or don't, if you
> >don't care about sub-buffer size accuracy. Or quantize to 4 samples,
> >if that fits your real_process() better.)
>
> i think i am persuaded. this changes the "model" of what the core
> plugin function call does so that event processing is the core task,
> and data processing/generation is the secondary one. subtle, but
> possibly important.

Yes. It gives you more control, without the need for API support. :-)

> we still need to clear up the thread issues in my previous email.

Yes, and we'll probably find other interesting problems to solve as
well. I think I have a rather clear picture of most of the system
now, though. Remains to see if some unclear corner is hiding some
nasty, unpleasant surprise...

> ps. if you use emacs, could you set your fill-column to something
> around 70-74 ? your mail invariably ends up with lines longer than 80
> chars when its gets quoted even once, and i end up reformatting it
> every time. thanks.

Done. (I use Kmail, and the wrapping was set to 80 by default, for
some strange reason...)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer