Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugin questions
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: su loka   10 1999 - 13:52:35 EDT

>> >Please, forget about any callback implementation inside the communication
>> >API. Imagine that one communication node can be inside the kernel space
>> >and other inside the user space. We can't use a callback with this
>> >combination.
>>
>> thats why the ALSA sequencer, as truly wonderful as it is, is not the
>> right answer to the system we're trying to build. its a valuable part
>> of it, but it cannot be the core of it for all kinds of reasons, this
>> being one of them.
>
>I'm lost here. I though that we are speaking about an event based
>communication system with nodes inside user or kernel space.
>Every callback can be implemented as two event calls (request &
>reply).

crossing the user/kernel boundary is too expensive for distributing
events which the kind of response we want. the communication system
needs to reside in user-space, IMHO.

the sequencer fits into this system because of the abstraction it
provides of the existing (currently just MIDI-related) device drivers,
turning them into subscribable event queues.

but having to cross into the kernel every time we want to deliver or
receive an event is not the way to go, i think.

--p