Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 15:46:16 EDT

>The "rw" program from my MIDI Toys does the reverse of this... opens a
>device "file" in read/write mode, and forwards it to one FIFO in read mode
>and another FIFO in write mode, so that the device can be accessed
>simultaneously by two unrelated processes.

heh. the need for this is purely a result of poor design of the OSS
MIDI drivers. if you use ALSA, for example, you don't need this.

>Why does everybody like plugins so much? What's wrong with small,
>coorperating, standalone apps?

speed. if you work with audio data, rather than MIDI, the cost of IPC
is often too high if you are doing real-time stuff. i love The Unix
Way(TM), but it was designed for tty-rate data exchange, not the
2MB/sec streaming data that audio does. For "offline" editing
purposes, pipes and stuff seem excellent, but for real-time, it just
doesn't work (well).

--p