Re: [linux-audio-dev] MCS: 64 bit timestamps? [simplified]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MCS: 64 bit timestamps? [simplified]
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti loka   12 1999 - 02:33:31 EDT

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> ps. i haven't seen any reports on cycle counters running at different
> speeds - i thought that the Intel SMP spec didn't allow processors to
> run at different speeds. i did see some reports on counters that are
> skewed wrt each other. i believe someone figured out a way to resync
> them.

It's actually possible to run CPUs with different core clocks
together, as long as they run at the same *bus* clock, and it doesn't
make the chipset or something else freak out. (Which is the case on
some, but not all SMP boards, obviously.)

BTW, the scheduler will probably have some trouble doing a good
job on such a machine... Some parts of the goodness() calculation
(used to find the best thread to switch to) depend on the thread's
CPU usage, IIRC. Probably not noticeable unless the difference is
very big, though.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer