Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti loka   12 1999 - 11:22:32 EDT

>Actually I was thinking about mono-stereo vs. multichannel setups.
>Currently most studio gear is designed to handle stereo-data
>(controls for left-right panning etc.).

yes. and this is going to look very old fashioned in a very short
time as computer-based (read: unlimited by conventional h/w
constraints) solutions become more prevalent. nuendo is a clear
demonstration of that.

>... why stop here? :) I've been playing around with the idea of
>connecting chains to each other.. This way I could easily simulate
>strip-bus combination or go even further...

on lesson i've learned in 13 years of programming is not to push for
too much abstraction at the expense of usability. juhana has certainly
talked and written and coded some interesting stuff about arbitrary
processing nets, and David's proposed engine does some of the same
stuff.

but i'm trying to write a highly useful mixer that will be mostly
finished (except for FX, which will be plugins using our new API, or
something approximating what it might be) by the end of this
week. when i was at AES, it was striking to me how excited people were
by "special purpose" hardware. yes, it would be nice if every audio
processing/generation program was capable of establishing any possible
internal processing net. but i want a mixer right now :) so i'll
settle for something that provides more flexibility that any current
hardware mixer, and will accept plugins for EQ, FX and panning. yes, i
can't create loops in the internal routing, but hey, i can live with
that :)

--regards
--p