Re: [linux-audio-dev] cycle counter wrapping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cycle counter wrapping
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti loka   12 1999 - 23:08:57 EDT

>Only future will tell...
>
>But my point is that we should avoid code that can't handle
>wraps correctly, it can be done without too much effort.
>Like David's resyncronisation points (you do the resync when
>no plugins run)

alas, if it were that easy. but it isn't. by introducing this, you
introduce the need for a lock around the timestamp code.

when the cycle counter can overflow the hardware set aside for it by
the chip manufacturer, there are much more serious problems in
store for us.

for now, i think we can take it as a given that the cycle counter, if
used in full, and its associated data type (long long for gcc) will
not wrap in any reasonable amount of time.