[alsa-devel] Plug-In interface - wait or design own?

Subject: [alsa-devel] Plug-In interface - wait or design own?
From: Jaroslav Kysela (perex_AT_suse.cz)
Date: ti loka   12 1999 - 17:11:32 EDT

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
> >>multichannel sound, but when I look around my home studio, all my
> >>equipment is designed to work with stereo signals (mixers, effect
> > actually, in my studio, i don't have this perspective. my mixer, for
> > example, can clearly handle mono signals quite well, and i use it for
> > quite a few: the mono inputs sources: mic, prophet-5, matrix-6
> > synth.
>
> Actually I was thinking about mono-stereo vs. multichannel setups.
> Currently most studio gear is designed to handle stereo-data
> (controls for left-right panning etc.).
>
> > them how helpful it was to be able to use a stereo input signal on a
> > single strip. the verdict: as long as you can group (sync) the faders
> > for two strips, they didn't care, even when i pointed out that it
> [...]
> > i think it depends in part on what your inputs are. if they really are
> > stereo signals (stereo soundfiles, devices etc.), then having audio
> > default to stereo is a good choice. if they are mostly mono (mono
> > soundfiles, devices, mics, etc), which is often true in live
> > recording, then it can be a bad choice, computationally.
>
> Yes, both have problems. Using mono-signals is more flexible and
> allows more efficient implementation, but in some cases it makes
> handling stereo-signals too complicated. For instance, I don't
> want my engine to know about the data it is routing. It mix streams
> of audio from inputs to chains, applies chain operators and mixes to
> outputs. If I'd start to use mono-signals, I'd have to separate mono
> and multichannel effects and add support for channel routing. And
> what's even worse, it would complicate user-interface as users would
> have to specify what tracks are logically related.
>
> > sometimes, you want an effect to just be applied to a single input,
> > and then you'd do it on the strip:
> >
> > +--> BUS2 -> FX3 -> FX4 -> OUT1
> > |
> > IN1 -> STRIP1 -> FX1 -> PAN -+
> > |

> > +-->
> > BUS2 -> FX5 -> FX6 -> OUT2
>
> ... why stop here? :) I've been playing around with the idea of
> connecting chains to each other.. This way I could easily simulate
> strip-bus combination or go even further...
>
> --
> Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
> . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing
> . http://www.wakkanet.fi/sculpscape/ - ambient-idm-rock-... mp3/ra/wav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex_AT_suse.cz>
SuSE Linux http://www.suse.com
ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org

------
To unsubscribe from <alsa-devel_AT_alsa-project.org> mailing list send message
'unsubscribe' in the body of message to <alsa-devel-request_AT_alsa-project.org>.
BUG/SMALL PATCH REPORTING SYSTEM: http://www.alsa-project.org/cgi-bin/bugs