Re: [linux-audio-dev] atomic xchg

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] atomic xchg
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: to loka   14 1999 - 18:26:31 EDT

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> david has also pointed a potential (though not likely to be used) use
> for it with timestamping.

We still have a problem with 64 bit shared variables, so I wouldn't
say "the atomic tricks" are ruled out for the timestamping. Even if
we use unsigned int and some unit that's close to the sample rate,
that's just 25 hours of 48 kHz resolution...

And BTW, even if a single CPU instruction is used (add for example),
that's worth nothing on an SMP system. AFAIK, the bus works with
access granularity, and doesn't care about CPU instructions...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer