Re: [linux-audio-dev] cpu/disk tradeoff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cpu/disk tradeoff
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: to loka   14 1999 - 21:05:59 EDT

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Bill Gribble wrote:
> Why not use 32-bit int for your intermediate results? a 4-byte float
> wastes a lot of its representational ability on numbers way, way
> beyond the bounds of what you need to be able to operate on for audio.

1) Normalizing is expensive and needs a "level stamp"
   for every buffer. Great fun when adapting buffer
   sizes accross sub nets and clients... *not*

2) Why convert back and forth all the time?

> If you're interested in serving even the semi-pro audio world, you
> want to be able to handle 24-bit input and output. Commodity machines
> (ADAT/DA-38, plus any external A/D/A worth the bubble wrap it's
> packaged in) are at least 20-bit these days, and most folks want
> 24-bit ability even though they're mainly getting random bits down
> there (not to mention that a commercial recording with more than
> 4 bits of dynamic range is an anomaly).

Well, analog noise sounds better than digital quantization
distortion to most people... And, good audio cards *do* have better
than 96 dB SNR and dynamic range, and that's very helpful when
recording. You don't have to adjust the recording level all the time
to stay within -3 dB.

So, yes, >16 bits makes sense. And, it's also the new over-hyped
upcoming standard, so you just gotta' do it anyway...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer