[linux-audio-dev] audio interference or ... ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] audio interference or ... ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: pe loka   15 1999 - 16:44:41 EDT

i have a noise problem. my regular matrox PCI video card is currently
defunct, and i am using an old ISA Diamond Speedstar. its also sitting
right next to my Hoontech card.

when i run this new hdr program, and I move the controls, I get a a
lot of static-like noise. a little more tracking down suggests that
the noise comes from anything involving X activity - mouse motion,
pixmap redraws, etc. if i bind a couple of MIDI faders to the volume
faders, then switch to an empty workspace (ie. no X output), the noise
goes away, *even when I move the MIDI faders*. that is, the program is
still running, but there is no X activity, and I am still actively
modulating the volume controls via MIDI, with no static noise.

do you think it reasonable to conclude that this is caused by video
noise ? or is there still some chance that scheduling nonsense caused
by the X server needing to run may be to blame ? any suggestions on
how to figure it out ? for what its worth, increasing the frames
processed per cycle from 64 to 1024 makes no apparent difference in
the noise.

i don't recall this being a problem with quasimodo, but the overlap
between the time i've been working on hdr and time the matrox card
has been dead is almost 100%, so its hard to say.

--p