Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: streaming from disk to terminatorX added (via mmap)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: streaming from disk to terminatorX added (via mmap)
From: Alexander König (alex_AT_rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de)
Date: ti loka   26 1999 - 21:52:46 EDT

Benjamin GOLINVAUX wrote:
> Aren't there more than forwards/backwards FX *at the contrained speed* when
> scratchin' ?

Well judging from the analouge nature of a turntable this is most
definitely true. You actually explained some possible reasons. The
question is whether you can actually hear these. Now from the response
I've been getting from people that usually scratch with real turntables,
they say tX sounds somewhat authentic. Considering how bad the signal is
the mouse actually provides I'd say this is pretty amazing. And since
V3.2 you can modify the cutoff-frequency of the lowpass filter with the
other axis (with the next release you can select between
scratching/volume/cutoff/echo_feedback). Now if you use your mouse for
scratching let's say the x-way and you just do that but still enable the
other axis to do something you get slight (not random) changes for the
other effect. This is of course nowhere near what a real turntable does
but it turns out to sound pretty organic.

> Wonder how a sine wave looks like when scratched.

Well I could scratch a sine wave with tX for you - but I guess that's
not what you are interested in ;)

I'm really interested in what else a real turntable does aside from
forward/backward-stuff, too. Maybe this could be simulated as well to
make tX sound more realistic.

Bye, Alex

                            Alexander König - alex_AT_42.fht-esslingen.de
                                                  http://termX.cjb.net

[From the Homer Quotables:] I don't care if Ned Flanders is the nicest guy in the world. He's a jerk -- end of story.

-- Homer Simpson When Flanders Failed