Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: streaming from disk to terminatorX added (via mmap)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: streaming from disk to terminatorX added (via mmap)
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: ti loka   26 1999 - 17:21:54 EDT

Scratching a compact disc player (if possible) would probably lead
to slow (wrt audio period) frequency change, i.e. at the speed of
the hand.

But since I tried to manually build a "scratched" sample some time ago and
found it
did not sound like the real thing, I assumed there were probably some weird
effects.

Maybe it is the same phenomenon as the bow on violin strings : we hear a
distinctive
sound whose excitation is the friction between bow and string. As the needle
does not
'glide' perfectly on the disc as a laser beam, maybe there is some kind of
added
"needle violin" sound added to the variations on the disc surface.

A useful experiment might be to find some seconds of silence, then "scratch
the silence"
and try to devise a method to dynamically generate this sound (which is not
silence,
 is it ?) and add the resulting signal to regular scratched sample.

Strong hypothesis of linearity, but it could be nice (especiallly if the x
axis of mouse
could vary the ratio "direct signal"/"scratched silence".

Just blind guesses.

Benjamin