4D-NXs (was Re: Sync Issues)

Subject: 4D-NXs (was Re: Sync Issues)
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_div8.net)
Date: ke loka   27 1999 - 07:40:13 EDT

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> > Drivers had better be forthcomming. Yes, I'm talking about cards like
> >those, such as the Event Layla and Darla, etc. Without them, it makes
> >Linux pretty useless as a multitrack platform...
>
> the manufacturers of such cards don't have much of an interest in
> Linux. i did a little work at AES to try to change that, but its going
> to be a long uphill battle.

  Well, if there were a more powerful audio API, and applications that
took advantage of it, that would all change pretty quick...

> > Well, at least pretty annoying. Personally, I have two AudioPCI cards
> >and a dedicated MPU-401 card for MIDI. Each of the AudioPCI cards have
> >two dsps, giving me four /dev/dsp devices.
>
> if you had 2 4D-NX's, you'd have 64 openable (mono) channels for
> playback (*)... is that enough for you ? :))) total cost $78+postage,
> plus you'd have two excellent MIDI interfaces as well.
> (*) but just 4 mono channels for recording, sigh.

  4D-NX seems to be just the chipset. Which card are you referring to
here? And, how does it get so many seperate openable channels?

  More importantly, would I be able to sync channels on the same sound
card?

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca