Re: 4D-NXs (was Re: Sync Issues)

Subject: Re: 4D-NXs (was Re: Sync Issues)
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_sasami.anime.net)
Date: ke loka   27 1999 - 16:06:30 EDT

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> * "we don't have enough programmers to do that"

If the drivers are being written for them by volunteers, I dont see how
this is relevant.

> * "we don't have any written documentation to give you guys -
> we wrote the driver by having the software group sit in with
> the hardware group"

This should be a warning sign to anyone thinking of purchasing their
hardware. If a company cant be bothered to internally document the
hardware, what happens if key engineers leave the company? Oh dear, their
project is *permanently screwed*, which means zero support for end users.
This is no way to run a company.

> * "we think our hardware's proprietary secrets will be revealed
> if there is a source code driver"

Uh, isnt this what patents are for? If someone reverse engineers their
card, they are *completely screwed* unless they have patent protection.

-Dan