Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: 4D-NXs and Hammerfall

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: 4D-NXs and Hammerfall
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: to loka   28 1999 - 21:37:36 EDT

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Benjamin GOLINVAUX wrote:

> Well.. Matt Gonzalez from Echo is an open minded guy who responded
> quite positively to me a few months ago about a BeOS driver request,
> so positively that, at the moment, I'm torn between the RME Hammerfall
> for Linux and the Layla for BeOS...
>
> He's been shown his hardware could shine on BeOS (it does) and,
> well, now, Steinberg will be showing Nuendo with a Layla on BeOS
> (actually they've been demonstrating it only under STUDI/O, but the
> peformance of the two vards are **roughly** the same under BeOS)
>
> I wonder what Matt Gonzalez would feel like after a "latency chat" with Benno
> and Paul.

Benjamin,
what was the 7ms io-latency on BeOS using Layla / STUD/O ?
pure audio buffers , or external measured REAL latency,
which includes DAC/ADC/filters delays ?

But anyway: send him the the link to the lowlatency page, and say him
that he should write us his opinionus on this topic.
I asked an optinion about the Linux realtime performance to
one of Seersystems Reality engineers on music-dsp ,
let's see what he answers.
:-)
PS: he said tuning the low latency on Windows (with special kernel drivers and
other hacks) took an additional 50-100% of amount of work.
(which could be invested in doing real DSP stuff, but yes, Seer achieves
the best performance compared to other softsynths)

Benno.